Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Dawn Lynn (Sunny)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:05 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Dawn Lynn Howard, who was a regular at the show from abouit 1988-l992 and had ties to a lot of old cast members, passed away Sunday, March 9th, on her 34th birthday. Her nickname in her Rocky days was Sunny. She had gone into a diabetic coma last year and though she came out of it, it did her a lot of physical damage. We haven't been able to get in touch wioth everyone who knew her then and I know some of you lurk on the Rocky site here.
I met Sunny and her friend Shelley (who also passed away a few years ago--her former fiancee was at the show a few weeks ago) at a cast meeting at Brownstone in 1989, and my first impression was that Shelley was very well-spoken and had lovely hair, and I thought Sunny was so tough and cool in her head-to -toe black and her leather jacket. She and my best friend Mary later became really good friends, and I was so happy to run into Dawn Lynn at Mary's apartment about a year and a half ago, since I thought about her and wondered how she was.
She was strong, active, took no prisoners, rode a motorcycle, and used to have a business making aromatic candles in addition to her career as a plebotomist.
We all went to a memorial service/wake for her Sunday night, and then some of us went to dinner at Ryan's, a bunch of old punks who'd known each other for 20 years. People were talking about getting together and going to Rocky again some night so of course I piped up: "The 29th is 80s night..." (Augh, I wish I would be there!)
If any old cast see this, please pm me or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:27 pm 
Drama Queen
Drama Queen

Here here. She was fortunate to have a friend that thought of her so fondly Joanna and I only hope that when my time comes I have friends that speak of me with such graciousness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:57 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I'm sorry for you loss, tell Mary too.

I'm not sure if I met here or not......obsessed w/ Leanne & Jones at the time....was she in my dobie cast?

TRAVIS W. REDFISH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:17 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Joanna,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of not just a close friend of yours, but another of our "Rocky Horror" family members.

My thought and prayers will be with her family and all that knew her and miss her.

Luv,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:35 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Thanks, guys. Calvin, I'm sure if you had a wake (not for a long-as time I hope!) everyone would have a lot of Calvin stories to recount!
Mr. Redfish, i think the think you'd most recall her for was that at Mary's barbecue in summer l992, right after the second batch of Dobiw shows (no, she wasn't in them), she punched Diane in the mouth for having slept with her boyfriend. She was later married to (and divorced from) Jason Smith (whom no one seems to know anything about currently). She looked like Daphne Zuniga when she was younger, wore a lot of black, just effortlesssly cool. Dated Denny in the Brownstone days.
I had never realized it, but she and Starr had been friends since elementary school and starr brought pictures to the wake, including their class phoot from third grade and one of Sunny and Starr as teenagers, right after coming home from Curfew, where she looked EXACTLY like the first time I met her, same outfit, everything.
Like I said, Shelley's former fiancee was at the show a few weeks ago and we talked. I'm still kind of stunned that I met those two smart, beautiful girls the same night as teenagers and they both died so young and unexpectedly...not what i would've imagined in Sam's living room at Brownstone back then.
Mike, thank you. Sunnny and I weren't close, I don't want to misrepresent that...I liked her very much, she was one of the rocky kids, and I was really happy to meet her again years later. It was my best friend Mary she was realy close to. What I'm trying to say is just I don't want to seem like I'm hijacking the grief and loss o my friends who knew her more than I did. The night we met at Mary's we were playing catch-up and laughiong and I was very impressed with the adult she'd become since i last saw her. And i sure wish this hadn't happened. She was a part of rocky here and I felt she should be remembered. I was tring also to describe her so the people who never met her could sort of know what she was like.