Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Too Much Yelling
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:04 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I am a veteran RHPS fan, having participated at least 80 times in various cities - New York, Los Angeles, Orange County and now Austin. I went to the Alamo last night with a friend who has heard me talk about all of the great times I have had watching the movie. She had never been, and I was thrilled to be able to take her to her very first experience. I loved the vibe of all the participants...the simple an-ti-ci pation in the air was infectious. We purchased our prop bags and settled in for a fun evening. I am a big fan of audience particiption, have been doing it for years and firmly believe that it is a necessity to keep the Rocky spirit alive. However....there is a difference of well-intended participation and simply yelling over every...single...line in the movie. I mean Yelling. Loudly. So loud, that it just took any enjoyment out of the full experience. I know the cast members are devoted and dedicated. I appreciate and support it. However, can the cast members who are the official "participators" in the audience please tone it down a couple of notches in order to make the experience what it is really meant to be? I am positive that every participating cast member is really into what they are doing. There are many who know the script backwards/forwards/sideways. But what about those of us who come to enjoy that full experience (i.e., props, participation, floorshow, etc)? They really do want to actually hear what is going on ... not just really loud people reminding them is it time to to snap their gloves while providing incessant sideline commentary that is relentless, and sorry to say, annoying. I was sad last night, as the yelling was so distracting (and right in our ears) that we actually wound up leaving before Eddie even arrived. I hope that if there are cast members from Austin who read this, you are not offended. It is not my wish to offend ANYONE. I really just want the Rocky Horror Picture Show experience to be all if can be - for both veterans and virgins alike.

Post subject: Re: Too Much Yelling
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:16 pm 
Of Bucketland
Of Bucketland

With all due respect, the yelling (especially in our particular show) is inevitable. Last night was quite an exception to the usual either virgin filled audience where it can be pretty quiet (aside from some of our older cast members filling in call lines) or only a few participating. It really was lively! We are in the process of possibly modifying by having callers, being the Transylvanians, designated to yell call lines when appropriate, etc. But it has always seemed to be in the spirit of Rocky to yell when you feel it, so telling people not to can't really happen. Last night was unusual, though, and we did have a lot of excess cast floating around as well as yelling. The whole movie is usually pretty hard to hear, in my opinion anyways. I'm very sorry, and I'm sure the rest of the cast would say the same, that you left early. A lot of people seemed to really enjoy it.

"She gotta have tons of this rock star bad boy's wet stuff in Brittany when his big thing totally did her he had fun and it was fantastic." --Lisa Frank refrigerator magnets arranged suggestively in high school

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Nobody on our cast is designated to yell lines (I know other casts do this - we just never have). Whoever's yelling, in either the audience or cast, is doing so because they just feel like it. That type of participation is what Rocky Horror is based on. Attempting to shut it down would be futile and self-defeating.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:50 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

I;m sorry your Rocky experience wasn't good, since we're hoping for it to be for everyone. Line-calling is a hard thing to keep total control of, e4specially with audience/guests chiming in with lines from other places, old cast coming back and doing the old Austin lines which have since been replaced, etc. One thing I wish everyone would do, especially my charming spouse, is not holler OVER someone else---if they already have half the line out of their mouth, whether you consider it the "right" one or not, please don't just bellow something else over it. That's when it sounds like the Boomhower family reunion and no one can hear anything but uni8ntelligible bellowing.
Does the DVD have English subtitles or closed-captioning as an option? (Mine's still packed somewhere.) Maybe that would be the ultimate solution.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:05 pm 
Techie
Techie

The DVD (or in this case, the Blu-Ray) does indeed have a subtitles option, at least as far as I know.