Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: To Absent Friends
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:00 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

For Dias de los Muertos, a few hours late, but in memory of Austin Rocky cast members who've passed on:

Shane Chenault
Bill Baletka
Joseph Ogleton (The African Queen)
Chrissy Gray
Roger Thomas
Brandon Arn
Robert Cortez
Draven Vermilion Le Beau (Richard Armstrong)
Cariane Gauze
Roy Van Zandt
Shelley
Dallas Martinez
Jason Stewart
Gregg Holland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'll throw in a couple of Houston cast members that I've known, also:

Brody
Miss Kitty

That was rather shocking to me, at the time. I took this photo gallery one night when Brody was playing Rocky and Miss Kitty was Trixie: http://www.austinrocky.org/photos/042702-Houston/. Two years later, they were both gone.

Post subject: Re: To Absent Friends
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Hi there - This thread came up on google while I was looking for an old friend, Joseph Ogleton. I've been gone from Austin for over 20 years, but we were once very close and I was hoping to reconnect. I'm so sorry to hear that he's gone...

Could someone let me know what happened?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Hi...I am sorry you found out like this! Joseph had AIDS and I believe what he actually passed away from was a case of meningitis. My husband James and I had seen him at Dobie Mall a few weeks earlier and he looked great at the time. This was in 1991 or 1992 (I'm sorry Ican't remember which just now).
His funeral was held at David Chapel with one of his uncles from out of town doing the service, and out of the way too many funerals we've been to, it was the one I felt most succeeded at doing what they're supposed to do...celebrating the life of the person they're for and giving the people left behind some genuine comfort. There were people from all different walks o-f life...chu-rch ladies, punks, e--t-c-, all there to honor Joseph.--- I remember his uncle up there telling a story about watching Joseph getting ready to go out and thinking "Is he really going to wear THOSE pants?" And Marque (Big Marky) whispered to me, "And he looked damn good in them too!" Joseph was famous at Rocky in the 80s for a party trick where he would eat oreos off people's body so we brought a bag of them to the wake in the park later. At the funeral everyone was going up to the coffin and saying goodbye, putting flowers and things on top, and I had brought an oreo cookie so I took it out, gave it a kiss and put it on there. At the viewing someone had left yellow daisies and a pair of rhinestone earrings in the coffin with him. He is buried at Assumption Cemetery in South Austin and every time we drive by it one of us says, "Hi, Joseph."
At Rocky Horror, Joseph and Jayson Daniels would just hang out in the hall and smoke (when you still could there) and sit on the trashcan and hold court...sometimes they never even went into the theater itself... I remember him playing Eddie once, which was kind of a surprise and really wild. He was very beloved by the whole Austin RHPS cast in the 80s and very special.
I'm sorry, again, that you just found out. Hope this helps a bit.
Joanna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Whew. I kept in touch with him for a couple of years after I moved, then life got crazy...but I always figured he'd be there and we'd pick up right where we left off.

Thank you so much for all of those warm details... I can picture everything! The diversity of the crowd doesn't surprise me, he was a friend to everyone. I met Joseph back in... I think it must have been 84 or so? when I started going to Northcross. We were instant friends, and he and Jayson "big-brothered" me through a whole lot of firsts over the next couple of years. He gave the best hugs and I remember sitting on the floor at after-show parties with Joseph behind me and his big arms wrapped around me. We'd sit like that for hours. The oreos may have been after my time, but I definitely remember some crazy pants! I remember him doing my hair and he'd always have to pause to sing a solo of some hideous, girly, pop song into his hairbrush "microphone"... I particularly remember his rendition of "In My House" by the Mary Jane Girls, sung full blast into the end of a hairbrush while standing in some random person's living room, decked out in skin tight sparkly zebra pants and an entire forearm of madonna-style jelly bracelets! Really hard to believe that such a force of life is gone...

Funny that you mention Jayson. He's another that I'd like to reconnect with... But I thought his last name was "Coy"? Went to UT, studied something to do with dreams, lived with his grandmother? same Jayson? No wonder I haven't been able to find him.

Were you around back then? I think it must have been 84-86? I remember Brian Godwyn (we called him Brian-Trixie-Tabby), Gordon (who also shepherded me through several firsts. of the mind-altering kind. Played great keyboards?), and his friend Mary, and a guy named Scott played Frank, and his girlfriend Marca played Magenta, and they had a transplant/nomadic housemate named Kyra who was a regular... and Columbia was played by, I think her name was Sam? And I remember an Eric, and a David, oh and a "Little David" - my crush until Gordon turned him gay...and a big Mark and a little Mark, and Kyle (who I heard is no longer with us), a Paul or two, Shane, a George from Houston...Do any of those names ring a bell? Lots of good times.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:52 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Wow! Yes, I knew all those people...I was the new girl back in 85, and played Magenta occasionally. Can I ask who you are? We probably met. I married James, the guy who used to play Crim in a three-piece suit and also Eddie and sometimes Riff. We're still going to rocky every weekend! Mary is my best friend and I saw her earlier today--her 12 year old daughter just got her first pair of Doc Martens and was all excited! Samantha who used to play Columbia married a guy who played Eddie and they moved to Arizona and have 2 daughters. Kyle is alive and well and teaching junior high school here. Kyra left town with a hippie guy named Tailor in 1987. Marca (Molly) works with one of the recent Rocky cast kids...she married Bob Hollis who played Dr. Scott and they are divorced... I saw Bob, his wife and Bob and Marca's teenage son at a big old cast gathering on Thanksgiving. Scott showed up at the show a few weeks back to say hi. Gordon and Matthew got married, moved to San Francisco, adopted a gay teenage boy, and seem to have a great life. Gordon wrote a chapter in a book that's a collection of stories of people who got married in SF during that brief time it was legal there. Big Marky moved out there and also married his boyfriend. Little David aka Patrick apparantly decided he was straight again, married a woman (only she's a lesbian) and they have an incredibly cute little daughter...he's a dance instructor now. Do you remember Keri, Nikki, Peace Mary,Pammy, Ziggy, Scott Mahagan, Max or Margo? The parties where everyone would sing "Let's Talk Dirty to the Animals" off the Saturday Night Live album?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:00 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Hey, if you check back here--Mary says Jayson is on Facebook as JaysonGreywolf.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Holy wow...I'm just now seeing your response from all those years ago! THANK YOU for all of the updates!! Learning of Joseph's passing rocked me and I never came back here until today when I randomly received notification of a private message. My name is Jenny, and back then I was kind of a clean-cut preppy 14 y.o. from Austin High. My bff somehow met and started dating Brian (Brian-Trixie-Tabby) and we were going up to Northcross every weekend. It was a whole new beautiful world of genuine connections, parties that didn't end, all kinds of experimentation and self-discovery, and creative, artistic people expressing themselves. The after-parties were epic -- a glorious mix of dancing, singing, eyeliner, glitter, abuse of substances, and tag-in style improv sessions. I remember one summer when people's parents seemed to go out of town one after the other and we just moved from house to house all together -- here for a few weeks, there for one, somewhere else for another -- it was a really special time with really special people.

I don't have many (any??) pictures of myself from back then, but I'll try to upload one from about 1990-ish in case I look familiar? (I'm front and center).

Off to find Jayson!

Attachments:
JB2.jpg
JB2.jpg [ 8.02 KiB | Viewed 55273 times ]