Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Prop 2 Passes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:16 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Well we tried and we will continue the fight. At least we got an against in Travis County.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_ ... rID=149365

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yup, surprise surprise. Damn all those Travis County queers and hippies voting against it. :wink: The other one I was keeping track of, Travis County Bond Prop. 2 for parks, passed too though. Which is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:51 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Fucking KKK loving bastards...

That's what I'm calling all of them now, just because I can.

I just don't get why people think it's:

1- Okay to combine church and state when that's why people left England,
and 2- Pass a state-wide law that takes away an "unalienable" right for gays-- The right to pursue happiness.

Fucking KKK loving bastards...

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:02 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Don't get me wrong, this totally sucks, but I consider Melissa and me married no matter what the state says. I mena, they tell me not to speed and I do that, too! So they can tell us whatever they want, it doesn't change how I view our relationship title.

Brittany

P.S. Does anyone know if they are planning on trying to retaliate? Like, where we go from here to continue the fight forward?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Since Texas was something like the 19th State to pass a similar constitutional amendment, I imagine this will end up being fought at the national level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:57 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Oh yes, and probably not for several years. My estimate is that, by the time people are ready to discuss it at the national level, I'll have kids. So 10 years probably. (It takes awhile for history to be made, too).

And yes, you may view your relationship as that, and while some (like myself) consider it that without a second thought, gays should have the right to put that title on it-- legally, for all to see, just like a man and woman. This is supposed to be a free country, where church and state are separated, and where people can be who they are... Apparently, only 60% of Travis county got the memo. What. The. Fuck.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:49 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

I'm not gay, nor am I inclined to ever get married, but this whole thing has just got me hoppin-ass mad.

Skipping over the whole "What the fuck is wrong with people?!" issue, there are others.

For instance, why the hell did we put an essentially civil rights issue up for popular vote? There's a reason we're a representative democracy. It's called the tyranny of the majority, and it sucks. Admittedly, if this went to vote in the State Legislature, it would have passed anyway, but it's the principle.

I've heard people on both sides refer to making same-sex marriage illegal. WTF? It never has been legal in Texas. Not now, not ever. It's already against the law.

Many people, again on both sides, have an attitude along the lines of, "I love her/him, and that's enough. We don't need to be married to be in love." That goes for long-term couples who just don't want to get married. Yeah, cool, whatever. Fine and dandy. But when she gets hit by a fire truck and is dying the in the hospital and you find you have no legal rights as her spouse would, you might feel a bit different. When your child gets pneumonia and you can't afford the medical bills because she's not covered under your partner's health insurance, again feelings might shift a little.

This ammendment disallows ANY status similar to marriage. If you can find work with an employer offering Domestic Partner benefits, go for it. And get those Durable and Medical Powers of Attorney professionally written and notarized, 'cause you'll need them without the legal recourse of a Civil Union. Otherwise, you're fucked. Because in a State-sponsored mass hate crime, three quarters of the voting population of Texas (probably about double the literate population) just declared you non-people. You are unworthy of a basic tenet of our society. You are nobody.

Fuck them.

I'm seceding. Anyone know how to formally renounce citizenship in Texas without moving? I love Austin, but I am utterly ashamed to be associated with this gun-toting, sister-fucking, Limbaugh-loving, Blue Collar TV-watching, Creationism-schooling, Bible-thumping, Hemi-driving, ass-backward state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:53 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Pant. Pant.

I think I just shit my pants. And possibly someone else's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-726.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:56 am 
Fan Club Rep
Fan Club Rep

... Wow Stevo, I'm proud of you, that was quite a rant

Bucket:
The fucking CHEESE has more health than I do!

"A song while you buy your crack, sir?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:21 am 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

I'm not too worried about prop. 2. All it did was define marriage, and then outlaw any and all marriages.
Wording is fun.
~Jessiy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:25 pm 
Techie
Techie

acutally because section 1 precedes section 2, anything defined in section 1 cant be refuted in section 2. so basically texas said what marriage was and then said that they wont accpet any one elses version of it.

HOWEVER

im trying to remember what i learned in govt (i actually email mr shcuhmann because i cant find it in the notes i kept) i swear there was a clause in a national document that required states to honor licenses from other states, which is why you can drive across the country with only one drivers license maybe i made this up. maybe its optional. seems to me a lawyer reviewing prop 2 would have remembered something like that. i wonder if this can apply to marriage licences (from mass) or if this breaks that..whatever it is...if it would nullify prop 2.

dont get your hopes up its late and ive been at work all day. i could be wrong.

yes 9:30 is late to me on a week day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:26 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

My marriage has survived 19 years as of today without that little piece of paper, and if I were a man and he were a woman (all the time), or we were both male or both female, I think it'd have been pretty much the same. BUT what an fucking insult to every gay person in Texas that this passed!
I was watching a thing on gay marriage on MTV last year and one of the commentators said that eventually , in 30 years or so, people will find it as hard to believe that same sex marriage was illegal as they find it now to comprehend that as late as the 60s, interracial marrriage was still illegal in some states. I think I guardedly agree with that because I cansee more acceptance from people who when I was young would have been blindly homophobic...(Just the fact that MTV, whihc spent it's first years of existence refusing to acknowledge the existence of gay AND black people, has changed it's tune so drastically says something...lucky for them, because without either group, The Real World would be even MORE boring than it already is!)
I still believe eventually this will change in our favor, but I"m also pissed off.