* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: San Antonio RHPS Cast
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Just happened to stumble upon this:

http://groups.myspace.com/absolutepleasuresatx

That's for the monthly RHPS cast in San Antonio ("The Absolute Pleasure Group"). They have forums with a decent amount of recent activity and everything. Who knew? :) They have a very odd schedule, playing the last THURSDAY of each month at the Alamo Drafthouse Westlakes. I'm actually thinking it would be pretty cool to go down and see them on Thursday, October 25th as part of the Halloween week orgy of activities.

P.S. It looks like Kelly (the cast director I got into it with back in the day) left them a couple of years ago when he stopped working at the Drafthouse. Then he said that they needed to stop using his "Satanic Mechanics" cast name. ROFL. Because it was such an original cast name, he had to make sure it stayed his... or something... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:17 pm 
Fan Club Rep
Fan Club Rep

Huh. Okay then. I will not be attending - some of us have to be at work at the ass crack of dawn the next day. Thursday. Fucking hell.

Bucket:
The fucking CHEESE has more health than I do!

"A song while you buy your crack, sir?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:24 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

sounds fun! we'll see how the schedule looks once we get closer to the date. i'm sure i'll have rehearsal or something...
:(

This aint no fucking Disney Store: Dance Mother Fuckers!

"I only did it with her because I'm in love with you"
-Rules of Attraction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:56 am 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

WHO THE HELL DOES ROCKY ON A THURSDAY [on a regular basis]?!!!

I'm with you, Raini, fucking hell...

Last edited by amizattva on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:59 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

well, we're doing it on a wednesday....
(yes, i realize that its halloween which means that "oh no, thats totall different" but...is still a middle-of-the-week-day night.

This aint no fucking Disney Store: Dance Mother Fuckers!

"I only did it with her because I'm in love with you"
-Rules of Attraction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

amizattva wrote:
WHO THE HELL DOES ROCKY ON A THURSDAY [on a regular basis]?!!!

Originally it was because the San Antonio cast members were all club kids, and after doing a few shows at the Northwest 10 they realized that it was seriously eating into their clubbing schedule! So first they asked the theater management to stop showing Rocky so damn often. I mean weekly?! Come on! Who can live like that? The theater wouldn't play ball unfortunately, so the cast just decided that they would only perform every other weekend anyway and to hell with anyone that shows up on the alternate weekends. It didn't take too long at that point before the Northwest 10 decided to just stop showing Rocky altogether.

Some time later the same group (or at least the same cast director... I can't vouch for the rest of them) decided that maybe they could get the Alamo Drafthouse franchise in San Antonio to start showing Rocky. But on THURSDAYS, because that won't interfere with their clubbing schedule so much. Genius! At one point this was apparently a weekly show... that's right every single Thursday... but for some odd reason I guess the audiences weren't enough to support that. So now it's just the last Thursday of each month. And neither the original cast director nor any of the original club kids are around anymore... so maybe the Thursday thing is just a tradition now.

FIN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:09 pm 
Of Bucketland
Of Bucketland

Wow, Shawn, you know like....everything. :shock:

"She gotta have tons of this rock star bad boy's wet stuff in Brittany when his big thing totally did her he had fun and it was fantastic." --Lisa Frank refrigerator magnets arranged suggestively in high school

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:15 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

I went to see them awhile back on a Thursday. It was one of the first shows they did after changing the name. I had a lot of fun yelling lines for another cast. I also at the time didn't understand why it was on Thursday night. Anyway, I might be interested in going. It pretty much depends on how I am feeling. As long as I can catch a ride, seeings that I can't drive for 4 to 6 weeks. At least not long distances anyway. I am on the way there, so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to pick me up. Let me know for sure if you are going.

~The Brain: And I am the Iconoclast, an unconventional eccentric who marches to a different drummer [whacked on head] but you may call me Noodle Noggin.~

~The Brain: Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but we're already naked.~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:52 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

I probably can't go this month but if anyone would like to go in November, I'd be happy to pay for the gas.
James and i went a few times a year or so ago and they had a big enthusiastic crowd on a thursday all those times...
i'd really like to start going again on a regular basis.
Bobbi, I'm glad you're recuperating okay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:33 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Thanks so much Joanna. I am doing a lot better. Thank you so much for the card I loved it very much. Hope to see James and you again real soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:24 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

same here!
I hope you didn't hurt yourself laughing at my crappy skull and crossbones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:12 pm 
Slut
Slut

Wait a minute....I was there when it was Northwest 10 and still there when it changed to Northwest 14. We fought the managment to keep it going every week... Uh...maybe I missread the original post. I was there through the first year or so it was at the Fox. And there were no club kids. We were all Rocky die hards.

Peace to all and hope to see everyone at the cameo Oct 26th and 27th. I think the reservation system is still down so I will send out a post to let everyone know when it is up and running.
OXOX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I was talking about the brief resurgence of Rocky at the Northwest in Summer and Fall 2001, Lee. Cast name was 'Satanic Mechanics'. If you look at the Road Trip Photos section of the site, you'll see a few photo galleries there for them. Roy Thomas was actually a part of this group, and played Brad I think.

I got along well with them initially and was very happy to see RHPS going in San Antonio again, but eventually got into it with their cast leader because I kept suggesting that they should recruit more people to perform and keep things going on a weekly basis (instead of trying to get the theater to show the movie less). Their cast leader in turn suggested that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about because he'd seen Rocky in Austin and it sucked. *shrug*

It was really one of the oddest Rocky casts I've ever seen. Fairly tight knit group of club kids who didn't really want other people "intruding" for the most part. My sister did end up performing as Janet with them for awhile, though. One of the more amusing stories was when they invited the homeless (at the time) cast of Beautiful Creatures in Houston to road trip into San Antonio and do a show at the Northwest. I heard about this and drove down along with the usual suspects like James and Joanna.

Once we got there we discovered that there was not one single member of the San Antonio cast at the theater. Literally. The Beautiful Creatures were a couple of cast members short of a full crew, but they had thought they'd be able to get a local San Antonio person or two to fill in. No such luck, since apparently when the San Antonio cast invited Beautiful Creatures over to perform there the cast said "Woohoo! Night off! Let's go clubbing that night!". So James ended up getting thrown in for Brad and I ended up playing Riff. Roy Thomas was the one and only member of the San Antonio cast who showed up at all that night, and he was there for about fifteen minutes in the middle of the show. Kinda surreal.

P.S. Thanks for keeping us updated, Lee! I promised Joanna I'd call and let her know if and when there was an update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:15 pm 
Slut
Slut

Ahhh, I understand. It was the comment of it being at Northwest 10 which threw me. Now I see what you are talking about...Jees, I am glad I wasn't there during that time,I would have lost it. LOL
Looking back when I was cast leader in SA, I remember having meetings after every show, which I would yell and scream at cast members as well as the crew because I felt that they weren't there to put on a great show for the audience. Most of the time the crew would stand in the middle of the isle and shout lines while blocking the view of most of the audience. And then there would be so many people shouting differnet lines that anyone who was there to see the show could not only not see the show, but counldn't hear what the hell was going on. LOL Awe, memories. It got better..after I pissed quite a few people off because I wouln't let them just do what they pleased. Regardless, I absolutely loved my Rocky years. They made me who I am today.
Sorry, I didn't mean to jump in on the post and if it sounded a little defensive, my apologies. Austin cast was the most amazing cast. We constantly strove to be like Austin....But in SA, it was really hard to find people who were committed in putting on a great show. Everytime I went to Austin to play Frank, the cast and crew was always sooooo amazing. I especially loved the breakfast at Denny's afterwards where we got thrown out a few times. LOL (At Northcross...yea, I know, I am dating myself)
GOD, I miss you guys!
Austin always put on a great show. If anyone ever is in LA, let me take you to The Nuart where Rocky has been for years. It totally reminds me of being at RHPS in Austin. Yall will love it!
Peace to all
OXOXO
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Lee Marshall wrote:
It was the comment of it being at Northwest 10 which threw me.

They shut down the annex at some point before 2001, so it became the Northwest 10... again. I actually worked as a grunt concession/usher type person at the Northwest 14 around 1992. I can vouch for the fact that the annex got very little business. For box office, people would practically fight over those spots on the schedule for the annex because it meant they could do homework for a majority of their shift. I'm sure it seemed like a bright idea at one point to open up a completely separate building with four additional screens, but in practice it was a ghost town. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:59 pm 
Slut
Slut

Ah, I see. I remember the annex. I never saw a movie in it...I guess not many people did. LOL
Wow, I love that you know so much about it. It all gets a little fuzzy for me. Maybe it was all the pot I used to smoke. LOL
I can't wait to see you Shawn! Please tell everyone hello for me.
OXOX
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:27 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

That's very kind of you Lee, considering what bungholes some of the austin cast behaved like a few times at y'all's anniversary blowouts... i remember going down to Central Park Fox and reaklly trying to make amends with the S.A. cast when I got on triumvirate, to arrange for us to get invited back that year. (And at least everyone behaved, thank God... that night was my 1100th show and I was so caught up in the road trip I forgot til we got there!We had to recast our Rocky at the last minute, but unlike other trips, no one broke any bones, half the cast didn't tell the other half to fuck themselves and quit the next day, and we didn't spend the night he side of the road with a broken down car and puking from getting food poisoning at Jim's... good times... Despite all the mayhem I always looked forward so much to the SA anniversary shows and enjoyed myself... I wish we still had them to look forward to now...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:40 pm 
Slut
Slut

I wish there were Anniversaries too. SA had some pretty amazing anniversaries. But they would have never been as successful as they were without the Austin Cast. I always found the Austin cast to be very sweet to me. Not sure if they were to anyone else in SA, but they were to me. I remember back then there was always this rival kind of attitude with my cast towards austin. Mainly I think it was jealousy. The Austin cast was always so much more with it as far as costumes and props. It is so funny. I remember meeting the Austin cast for the first time and everyone was so sweet. And of course I was always treated so wonderfully every time I drove up to be in the show, or visit. I always wanted my cast to be more like Austin's. Funny how the grass is always greener huh? All I can say is I fuckin LOVE the Austin group and will always have a special place in my heart for them....Awe shucks, now I am getting all sappy...lol
I think Austin is Amazing. If I ever move back to TX, It will be Austin. Maybe then I could finally join ya'lls cast permanantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 am 
Fan Club Rep
Fan Club Rep

Lee Marshall wrote:
The Austin cast was always so much more with it as far as costumes and props.

*blinks*

But we'd LOVE to have you Lee! OHMYGOSH move back here... you can live in our spare bedroom! Come on... we have kitties...

Bucket:
The fucking CHEESE has more health than I do!

"A song while you buy your crack, sir?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:32 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Good news/bad news... the bad is that they won't be doing RHPS inb Corpus this year... too many casting problems. I really was sorry to find this today as I was really very much looking forward to watching Voyeuristic Pleasures outside in the courtyard of the Yin Yang Fandango, taking a bunch of photos , doing Austin and old Corpus lines, juggling a veggie chili dog and a chai lotus shake and probably wearing some new piece of bone bead jewelry I just bought inside, while James sits in the back in drag bellowing. It's hands down the coolest place in Corpus (way too faint praise, I know) and the people there rock and are so so nice. Every kid in Corpus who wears nothing but black and hates Corpus as much as I did when I was trapped there at that age, would be there having fun, and they'd be playing 80's New Wave music before the show. And I would just feel so happy to be seeing Rocky again back where it all started for me... it's just special to me. Sigh.
But, now we can go to the San Antonio Thursday RHPS, which is some consolation, and be here for Saturday's Halloween show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:37 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Voyeuristic INTENTIONS, I meant to say. I went to work with James today and it was fun but tiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry to hear that, Joanna. On the other hand, I'll apparently be seeing you guys Thursday through Saturday nights inclusive then that weekend. :lol: Just FYI Bobbi, I am heading down to San Antonio on Thursday but I'm going to be visiting my parents and such that day.

Last edited by Riff Raff on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:52 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

It was soooo muc fun, Ihad a blast, no one seemed offended by james' bellowing, and people took a lot of pictures of our car... he promised mewe could start gong back every monthg!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I would too if they could shift to Friday nights. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:30 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Yeah, I totally forgot all about going until right now. Perhaps next month would be better. Maybe we could get a big group of us together and go. It could be a cast trip or something. Anyway, let me know when you guys are going again and I will try to make it too.

~The Brain: And I am the Iconoclast, an unconventional eccentric who marches to a different drummer [whacked on head] but you may call me Noodle Noggin.~

~The Brain: Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but we're already naked.~