Austin Rocky Horror Picture Show Cast

Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Granted, they're from last weekend when I was in Houston visiting Beautiful Creatures along with Strawboy. 8) This is one of two casts in the Houston area, and they perform monthly at the Landmark River Oaks Theatre. They had a great audience with about 350 people or so, which nonetheless is only about half capacity for the downstairs of this movie palace theatre. Their cast leaders, Jim and Mina, are both old friends of ours. Jim has actually guest performed with us at the Drafthouse before: November 13th, 2004 as Frank. At any rate, it was a great show and I'll have to make a point of visiting them more often than I have been of late.

http://www.austinrocky.org/photos/080908-Houston/

P.S. In case you happen to notice it, yes they do allow the cast to smoke on stage. I think they're classifying it along the same lines as actors smoking on stage as part of a play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:56 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Shawn - the photos are amazing - thank you so much!!

The theatre's capacity is actually only 500 - so 350 is about 70% capacity.

I think it used to seat more when the chairs were smaller and the rows were closer together - you can still see the filled-in holes in the concrete where the old rows were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

BTW, one oddity I found out from Mina after the show is that the guy playing Eddie and Dr. Scott was actually Jeff Foss. Whom I've... interacted with... in the past. Also it looks like he just did a cast photo shoot with Beautiful Creatures. Be warned though that it's a bit of a photo dump, in that after taking twelve shots of the exact same pose he didn't actually bother to select which one of the twelve was the 'best' one before posting:

http://www.foss-o-matic.com/bchou/

It's still nice to see an actual cast photo shoot though, with off-camera flash set up and everything. Now for the history lesson. Back in the dark ages of the Internet, before the World Wide Web really existed, we used newsgroups and FTP sites. A couple of people ran Rocky Horror FTP sites, which were file repositories with things like scripts and such. The very first Rocky Horror cast photo I ever saw, downloaded from an FTP site, happened to be of Jeff's (now ex-)wife Shelley Foss as Magenta:

http://www.foss-o-matic.com/VI/s_shell.htm

Awhile later, that whole World Wide Web thing started to catch on and Rocky Horror web sites were popping into existence. Various casts started putting up web pages, and at this point in time well... most of them sucked hardcore. For a personally embarrassing reference, here's what the Queerios web site looked like around late 1999:

http://www.austinrocky.org/OLD/

And that actually wasn't too bad at the time. Most other cast web sites were much worse. When they had cast photos, they were invariably tiny, blurry, dark, and frequently showed several rows of seats rather than the actors. There was a singular exception though - the Voyeuristic Intention cast of Pasadena, California. With a web site created by Jeff Foss, one of the cast leaders.

It was far and away the most creative cast web site at the time, with some of the best cast photography on the Internet. It was also created anew EVERY MONTH. i.e. Each month Jeff would come up with a whole new web site concept, do a photo shoot with cast members around this concept, design web pages based on this, and replace the previous month's web site with it. Every... freaking... month... for like two years. One month you might have the 'Sisters of Mercy', which consisted of all the hot female cast members dressed as nuns and Catholic school girls in elaborate staged photo shoots with props and everything. The next month might be a holiday theme or something. You just never knew.

Their web site gradually developed a following with people like me coming back to look at it every month, despite living nowhere near their cast. It also helped that most months they'd have a 'secret' page that you'd have to figure out how to get to, which would have more hardcore nudity. Like random shots of a completely naked girl in the theatre manager's office... with the theater manager as it turns out. Whee!

At any rate, at this point in time I was a bit of a digital packrat. Starting when the first few Rocky Horror web sites went up, I would download local copies of entire web sites and update these mirrors every few weeks. This was actually doable on my own, back when there were less than a dozen Rocky web sites in existence. Over time the list did get larger and larger, and a few years later I eventually stopped. But in the meantime I had taken snapshots of several different incarnations of the Voyeuristic Intention web site.

At some point later, I copied some of their photos elsewhere. It happened long enough ago that I don't even remember the details, but at that point in time I thought little about copying images from other web sites. Jeff Foss eventually came across this and was very upset. Upset enough that he looked up my contact info in the domain name registration for rockymusic.org, called my house, and left a nasty message on my answering machine. I took the photos down shortly thereafter. That was probably about nine years ago, and was my last interaction with him. So you can imagine my surprise when I discover after the show last weekend that I had just spent a couple hours watching and photographing Jeff Foss. I'll have to actually say hello or something to him the next time I'm down there. :lol:

Thus endeth the long-winded story.

Last edited by Riff Raff on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

seweccentric wrote:
I think it used to seat more when the chairs were smaller and the rows were closer together - you can still see the filled-in holes in the concrete where the old rows were.

A ha, that makes sense. I remember it used to have some two-seater chairs also. Chairs made for two that reclined, and were towards the back of the theater. Yeah those were popular for Rocky Horror. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Huh. Apparently the other photographer in the audience who was asking about me about flash gels works for Houston Press:

http://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/view/116047/

Strawboy and I are in photo #9, above the "Lots of guys with cameras" caption. :lol: