Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: So, funny story.....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37 pm 
Closet Thespian
Closet Thespian

...while I was gone this weekend the ceiling in my apartment collapsed. It collapsed because there was a leak above it and all of this water was collecting there and no one knew. Then the ceiling gave in and my apartment was flooded with dirty water and plaster. i think they also threw some asbestos in there for a good measure.

Anyway, my apartment in now unlivable and the apartment managers have decided that we are going to need to move into the apartment next door as soon as it is ready- that's this weekend.

I was wondering if anyone was free saturday (or maybe sunday) to help me move my stuff. It isn't a far walk and there are no stairs involved. We don't need a lot of people- an extra pair of hands would be helpful though. If people want I can cook delicious lunch as compensation.

But yea, just let me know. This situation is comically bad so I am not as upset as I could be- i'm just a little mad because we are moving into an apartment that faces a brick wall rather than a courtyard. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:44 pm 
Sweet Transvestite
Sweet Transvestite

oh my... so what is the Apt doing for you be sides putting you in the next Apt over that may have the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:23 pm 
Closet Thespian
Closet Thespian

um...not much. thats kind of a touchy subject.

we took a magnifying glass to our lease and it pretty much says that they can give us 5-days warning and terminate our lease whenever they want to- even if the damage caused in the apartment was their fault (which, obviously, it was). So yea....we are a little afraid to ask for anythnig for fear of homelessness.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Apartment complexes will try to put a lot of things in their lease agreements that won't actually stand up in court. Even if I just have someone of adult age living in my house and not paying rent, I'm still required by Texas law to give them two weeks notice to vacate.

Maintenance of your ceiling is obviously their responsibility, and I'm sure they have their own insurance that covers it. They should be the ones bending over backward to fix things and pay for your damages. Don't stand for it if they act like your renter's insurance should pay for their negligence. Otherwise, here's a page on how to sue in small claims court in Texas:

http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Legal_and_Judicial_System&CONTENTID=3869&TEMPLATE=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm

Take some pictures of your damages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:13 pm 
Of Bucketland
Of Bucketland

Riff Raff wrote:
...Even if I just have someone of adult age living in my house and not paying rent, I'm still required by Texas law to give them two weeks notice to vacate.

...I'm kind of relieved even if I am just there on weekends! :lol:

"She gotta have tons of this rock star bad boy's wet stuff in Brittany when his big thing totally did her he had fun and it was fantastic." --Lisa Frank refrigerator magnets arranged suggestively in high school