Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Fort Worth Stonewall
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Haven't seen an official news source covering it yet really, so keep in mind this is all hearsay at this point. But it looks like the Fort Worth police raided the Rainbow Lounge (a gay bar obviously) last night around 1AM, on the 40th Anniversary of the Stonewall riots in New York.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/6/28/747810/-Breaking:-Raid-on-Fort-Worth-Gay-Bar-(Update-x3)

Quote:
I was one of the dance entertainers last night at Rainbow Lounge. I was dancing on a box in the VIP lounge and was looking right at the first guy that was arrested. The male patron was standing at the bar doing nothing but having a having a drink and a fun time (like people do in bars) when an officer entered that section of the club and made a beeline straight towards him. The officer forcefully spun the man around, shoved him against the bar and placed plastic restraints on his wrists. The officer then marched the man out the club. The guy was stunned and obviously really scared.

I then noticed another officer in the VIP section and several other officers filtering into the club. I made the decision at that point to go ahead and get dressed in case they were going to start arresting everyone in the entire place.

When I got inside the dressing room there were other dancers already in there getting dressed. They were panicing and saying that this is not something they have ever had to deal dancing in Dallas.

I got dressed and walked out the door and saw that several more officers had made their way into the club. I went into sort of a surreal haze at that moment. I was so disturbed and saddened because it occured to me in that moment that being after midnight, it was actually the exact same day as the Stonewall Riots. I just couldn’t believe what was happening.

I was still standing near the entrance to the VIP lounge with a friend when an officer approached a man standing there. The man had water in his hand. The officer asked him how much he had had to drink and the man said that he didn’t have to answer that. The officer then said that he was going to arrest him for public intoxication. The man said,"You can’t do that I am just standing here right now drinking water." At the time the officer shoved the man over towards the wall near the dressing room and then back to the rear wall near the men’s restroom, then down onto the floor. Several other officers, made their way back there to hold that ONE MAN down on the ground as they placed restraints on him. At the time I noticed that all of them did not have FWPD uniforms on. Some of them were actually State Police.

Keep in mind that in Texas at the moment it is actually allowed for police to arrest someone for Public Intoxication inside of a bar, believe it or not. Here's a previous story on that one:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/440016/public_intoxication_stings_catch_2200_in_texas_bars/

Obviously when the police are technically able to arrest people for Public Intoxication inside a bar, then anyone who ever frequents a bar is subject to the whims of enforcement of the local police. If they feel like "cracking down" on one particular bar just because they want to, they can.

Post subject: Re: Fort Worth Stonewall
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the official police statement: http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-rainbow-lounge-fwpd-statement-story,0,1536646.story. I'm sure there'll be some argument back and forth about the various versions of events. In particular, I'm highly skeptical about this portion of the police statement:

Quote:
Officers arrived at the Rainbow Lounge to conduct the scheduled inspection. Some officers remained outside while some entered the club. While walking through the Rainbow Lounge, an extremely intoxicated patron made sexually explicit movements toward the police supervisor. This individual was arrested for public intoxication. Another intoxicated individual also made sexually explicit movements towards another officer and he was arrested for public intoxication. A third individual inside the lounge assaulted the TABC agent by grabbing the TABC agent's groin.

That sounds remarkably like what homophobic men always think is going to happen to them the moment they enter a gay bar. Because they're just that attractive to the gays, or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 am 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

...I hate mankind... :shake:

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!

Put yourself in my shoes...see that? I told you they wouldn't fit ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Looks like this incident made the leap to the national news, as I just saw a segment about this on today's Rachel Maddow Show. Additional news on the positive side is that two Fort Worth city council members are already calling for an investigation. On the negative side though, one of the bar patrons who was thrown to the ground when being arrested apparently had to be taken to the hospital for brain trauma.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:31 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Police: Rainbow Lounge Patrons Dry Humped Cops
http://www.fwweekly.com/index.php?option=com_wordpress&p=673&Itemid=482

Quote:
Fort Worth police said this weekend’s arrests at the Rainbow Lounge occurred after two customers made “sexually explicit movements” toward police officers, and another customer grabbed a cop’s groin.

Confused as to what constituted a “sexually explicit movement,” I called police Sgt. Pedro Criado for explanation. He agreed the phrase was rather vague and after thinking awhile he explained it as “simulated sex act against the officer’s body.”

Huh?

I had to think about that awhile myself.

“Humping?” I asked.

Yes, Criado said, police officers complained that customers were “dry humping” them, and one patron actually grabbed a cop’s crotch.

The half-dozen police officers on the scene were wearing police uniforms and carrying guns at the time of the alleged humping and crotch grabbing.

And a response:

Quote:
ha! i was at the rainbow lounge on the night of these alleged dry humpings. i watched as FW police officers and tabc agents approached bar patrons who were in no way noticeably intoxicated, slammed them to the wall and ground and fitted them with zip tie handcuffs. there were no “sexually explicit movements” made towards any officer or tabc agent. i did, however, witness officers continually poke and prod a cooperative, handcuffed patron outside the bar, while said patron repeatedly and politely asked the officers to stop touching him. i also witnessed a tabc agent very inappropriately take my sister’s hand after we questioned him about their reasons for being there. this action was completely uninvited by my sister, by the way. the poor fwpd and tabc were obviously victims of sex-crazed homosexuals!

More eyewitness accounts here:

What they saw at the Rainbow Lounge
http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_11500.php

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 pm 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

I hope they go down for this...way down...and if I see them in my cornor of hell they will wish the devil himself was torturing them instead of me...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The Fort Worth police chief seems satisfied with things (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa090629_mo_raid.1e30e494.html):
Quote:
Monday, police chief Jeff Halstead said the officers' actions are being investigated. However, he also said that officers that entered the bar during the scheduled inspection were touched inappropriately.

"You're touched and advanced in certain ways by people inside the bar, that's offensive," he said. "I'm happy with the restraint used when they were contacted like that."

Meanwhile the person they're accusing of doing the groping, Chad Gibson, has been in intensive care ever since the arrest (he was just recently upgraded from 'Serious' to 'Fair' condition):
Quote:
"[Gibson] was taken down hard," said Camp, with "four or five" officers wrestling him to the floor inside the club. Cellphone photos shot by patrons and posted to blogs show a person being held facedown by officers in a short hallway inside the club, then show a dent in the wall where his head was apparently banged.

Quote:
Chad Gibson, the 26-year-old Fort Worth resident who wound up in John Peter Smith Hospital in the intensive care unit after a law enforcement raid on a gay bar over the weekend, remains in danger with a blood clot on his brain. Dallas Voice senior editor Tammye Nash reports on the newspaper's blog, Instant Tea, that Gibson's sister, Kristy Morgan, told her a CAT scan had revealed the blood clot has quit growing, but it is still considered a life-threatening situation. Until the clot dissolves, there is a danger that the clot could break off and cause severe brain damage or death. A rupture of the clot could also start bleeding again.

The blood clot could take from six months to two years to dissolve, according to the update. Gibson, shown in a picture from facebook.com, will likely remain in the hospital for the rest of the week and will be referred to a neurosurgeon for follow-up treatment. Surgery is reportedly not being considered at this time.

Meanwhile the bar owner says the same thing that I first thought when I read the official police statement:
Quote:
"The groping of the police officer—really? We're gay, but we're not dumb," Schrock said to the crowd that gathered at the bar Sunday afternoon. "That is a lie, and I am appalled by it."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 pm 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

So how do they plan to clear this up? It will probably be ignored...I still hate people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:59 pm 
Drama Queen
Drama Queen

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas/Mayo ... on_gay_bar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:54 pm 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

yay for half hearted appologies?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:11 pm 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

...still hate people...and they wonder why I can be so pesemistic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, the TABC Commissioner actually admits it was their fault: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/071709dnmettacb.4ced11bc.html.

Quote:
The head of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said two agents violated policy by raiding a Fort Worth gay bar on June 28, and that their supervisor has announced his retirement.

“I don’t think we have to dig very deep to figure out that TABC has violated some of their policies,” Commissioner Alan Steen said in an interview with The Dallas Voice, a newspaper that focuses on matters of particular interest to gay readers.

“We know that and I apologize for that.”

Steen reaffirmed his comments to The Dallas Morning News this morning.

He said state agents did not have justification for the inspection and rough arrests at the Rainbow Lounge. The raid resulted in one man's being hospitalized with a blood clot in his brain.

“You can read that policy and figure out really quickly, TABC shouldn’t have even been there,” Steen told The Voice.

“If our guys would have followed the damn policy, we wouldn’t have even been there. ... We have these conversations all the time, and we don’t participate in those kinds of inspections when there’s not probable cause or reasonable suspicion or some public safety measure to be inspected.”

He declined to identify the supervisor, a sergeant in the agency's Fort Worth district office, who had retired.

The TABC officers involved in the raid have been placed on desk duty pending the outcome of an internal investigation, Steen said.

The Fort Worth Police Department, which also participated in the raid, has two separate inquiries into whether its officers acted appropriately during the bar inspection.

The raid prompted local and national outrage, in part because it was conducted on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riot in New York City — regarded as the birth of the modern gay rights movement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:07 pm 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

So in other words they picked a fall guy in the hopes that his sacrifice and the "apologies" made would calm the general public and they can force the whole thing to blow over soon...