Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: UT showing of RHPS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:31 pm 
did anyone know about this? Just FYI. more info at http://www.houstonrocky.com/

Quote:
NOTICE: In Austin, Texas there's a special pre-Halloween show slated for Oct. 25th (Saturday night) in one of the theaters in the Arts building at the University of Texas (the one abbreviated "ART"). Here's more:

*TIMES: 2 shows, 9:00pm and 11:45pm
*VENUE: ART 1.102 building across from Memorial Stadium
*PRICES: $5 for ticket, $2.50 for prop bag after tic. purchase
*** or $6 for ticket & prop bag at the door ***
*PARKING: students use issued UT stickers
Non-students pay ($3 after 6-close) to park in the garages (San Jacinto and San Antonio are the closest).
*** Check back HERE about a possible parking break ***
*** in the stadium lots for these shows!! ***

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Pete from Houston mentioned something about it to me when I was down there the weekend before last, since apparently he was supposed to play something at this show. He didn't know any details about it at the time though. Why they'd be dragging people up from Houston to perform instead of contacting us, I have no idea. Unless of course it was just organized by someone who knows us entirely too well...:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:06 pm 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

Thanks, Jess...good to know :banana:

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" -- she always called me Elwood -- "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:20 pm 
I just found out about it today. He posted it on the houston boards. Until you said something I didn't know houston was playing there. I'll find out though and let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:29 pm 
Just talked to Houston cast directors and as I thought, they're not performing. I don't know who is. Maybe UT students?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:34 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Pete had said that he was, but no idea apart from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:00 pm 
and we all know that pete's a show all by himself......... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

SUGGESTION: Have a couple of cute people in costume hand out flyers to our shows at one or both events. Might be the best way possible to reach U.T. students.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:31 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

I like that idea. I'll wear something nice and skimpy. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:29 pm 
Techie
Techie

*quickly goes to order plane ticket for direct flight to austin, and prays she is not too late to see the sexy skimpy stevo* :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:07 pm 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

How can I get some flyers? Which flyers are we using? I live on UT campus, and I know of some places where I can post them. I can also probably attend the early show wearing something of questionable taste and hand out flyers.

:woohoo:

Margaux

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" -- she always called me Elwood -- "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:34 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Confused Kitten wrote:
How can I get some flyers? Which flyers are we using?

http://www.planetstevo.com/rhps/flyers/2003/

There are a few variations; full-page, 2up, color/b&w, border/no border. It depends on how you are going to print them. The two PDF versions are at 300 dpi, which would probably give you the best print quality.

Stevo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:37 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I am disappointed in the way you are discussing our show. My name is Lindsay, and myself and ALL the other performers who were in the UT show this past weekend are members of the SADISTIC PLEASURES cast in Webster.
Jess - I joined the cast the night you let me play Columbia. I had directed the show once before in Galveston. Our show was not an attempt to step on your toes, and I am discouraged that you think I deliberately meant to upset... having left you and your cast members out of my production. To tell you the truth, I didn't want to get involved with your cast because I feared this would turn into some kind of competition. All my cast would like to do is cater the UT students who would rather enjoy our youthful, convenient, messier show over driving up the highway to pay money to see a show at which the may feel confined.
I am starting a permanent cast at the University and we will only advertise to/admit University to students without charging a fee. This is in no way an insult or an upset.
Our upcoming cast needs recrutes in order to be successful, so what better than to put on a show of our own! So since I am good friends with some of the talented members of SP I invited them : Jeff, Pete, Jim, Lindsey, and even Jaramie who had a previous engagement, to guest star in my show cast-raiser. It was an event among friends.
I apologize if I have insulted you, but since I had no room to cast you or any members of your cast if I wanted to see/cast my good friends, I neglected to get you guys involved.
I/We appreciate the paying costumers from your cast who scouted out our show and aided in the call-lines. Thanks to the money we recieved at our show we were able to pay off the rights to show the DVD on campus for that one evening without spending more than $100 of our own pocket money. I am thankful.
Now in the future we will be able to have fun, free, shows for University members. I hope you understand. Sometime (when study permits) we'll get down to see ya'lls show again!
L
L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:42 am 
Fan Club Rep
Fan Club Rep

Um... I'm confused, what just happened here? I didn't know other people could get a print within a certain mile radius, or so I've heard, correct me if I'm mistaken

Bucket:
The fucking CHEESE has more health than I do!

"A song while you buy your crack, sir?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:47 am 
ttickledpinkk wrote:
I am disappointed in the way you are discussing our show. My name is Lindsay, and myself and ALL the other performers who were in the UT show this past weekend are members of the SADISTIC PLEASURES cast in Webster.
Jess - I joined the cast the night you let me play Columbia. I had directed the show once before in Galveston. Our show was not an attempt to step on your toes, and I am discouraged that you think I deliberately meant to upset... having left you and your cast members out of my production. To tell you the truth, I didn't want to get involved with your cast because I feared this would turn into some kind of competition. All my cast would like to do is cater the UT students who would rather enjoy our youthful, convenient, messier show over driving up the highway to pay money to see a show at which the may feel confined.
I am starting a permanent cast at the University and we will only advertise to/admit University to students without charging a fee. This is in no way an insult or an upset.
Our upcoming cast needs recrutes in order to be successful, so what better than to put on a show of our own! So since I am good friends with some of the talented members of SP I invited them : Jeff, Pete, Jim, Lindsey, and even Jaramie who had a previous engagement, to guest star in my show cast-raiser. It was an event among friends.
I apologize if I have insulted you, but since I had no room to cast you or any members of your cast if I wanted to see/cast my good friends, I neglected to get you guys involved.
I/We appreciate the paying costumers from your cast who scouted out our show and aided in the call-lines. Thanks to the money we recieved at our show we were able to pay off the rights to show the DVD on campus for that one evening without spending more than $100 of our own pocket money. I am thankful.
Now in the future we will be able to have fun, free, shows for University members. I hope you understand. Sometime (when study permits) we'll get down to see ya'lls show again!
L
L
What the fuck is your problem. I don't see anything bad being said about your cast. It was merely and FYI. We posted when it was playing in San Antonio too. OOOOOooo. It must have been bad since we posted it huh? Lindsey, don't be fucking retarded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

They didn't have a print, it was just the DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:19 pm 
Fan Club Rep
Fan Club Rep

So... you illegally charged for a showing of Rocky from the DVD? I'm just trying to see if I have all my facts straight here... and now you want to start a cast and take away a decent portion of our audience... for what reason?

Bucket:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ttickledpinkk wrote:
All my cast would like to do is cater the UT students who would rather enjoy our youthful, convenient, messier show over driving up the highway to pay money to see a show at which the may feel confined.

AH! Cinemark is crushing my will to live! :wink:

Post subject: I am sorry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:57 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I am sorry if I upset you guys. I am just really discouraged with the fact that you guys are so upset by the fact that we put on a show!
If you are doing a one night show and already have a copy of the movie, I was told my a represntative of Criterion Pictures (who actually handles the dealings of the money rights) and Harvey Applebaum (a lawyer who handles the paperwork for the dealings of the show rights along with David Nochimson who handles irregular shows) that all you have to do is pay $350 to do the show for one night. That is what I have done with the money the audience paid at the show. Our show was not illegally done, and we do not intend to take away your audience. We'd like to work WITH you but your hostility has made me feel like you'd be rather uncomfortable with that. I have the reciept for a post-paid show paid under my mother's credit card. So don't worry folks, if it makes you happy, we even lost money! I put in way more money (not counting the $350 for the rights) than I ever could have gotten back! Corsets, paint and wood are very expensive! I didn't even know that you could do a show illegally! I have always been told that if you're doing something with someone else's work than you have to pay them or you'll get run through the mill. Excuse me, but while other people might be able to afford the $2,000 fines on illegal shows, I myself, cannot. I still have to graduate from this University. So smart people do go to UT. Smart people who do their research. And to answer another question, you cannot get rights to do a regular weekly show if you are "impeeding" on another theatrical performance inthe area, hence why we did our show for one night- under the restrictions of the copyright. In order for us to do our permanent cast thing... we'll have to get an actual print from Criterion. So when we get up and running, you can be garaunteed you'll be seeing purchased print. :D
I hope this puts you all at ease. And once again, I am sorry for upsetting you guys, we don't want to compete with you, and we just wanted to have some fun. I didn't mean to be rude to anyone, I just got defensive. It takes lots to get together a show on your own, and it hurts a lot when stuff like this happens.
Very sorry.
Have a good day, and great shows this weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:20 pm 
Fan Club Rep
Fan Club Rep

If you wanted to be on a cast or something then why didn't you just come up and be on our cast? It doesn't make sense to me why someone would go through all that trouble and 'spend all that money' to start a cast when there's already one in town that's been around for years and years that welcomes people to be a part of it all the damn time. I'm just completely puzzled by this...

Bucket:

Post subject: What lead me
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:14 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

To decide to start one here on campus was the fact that (like many students who live on/near campus) I am without transportation. I have also been to a show in your cinema and I found that the conditions were not quite as favorable as I thought they could be. Your show was good, and your actors were well rehearsed, but the atmosphere was lacking something for me (this statement includes no other opinions than my own). I had a good time at your show with the exception of only two things: The inability to stand in the aisles and Time Warp, and the inability to throw the REALLY MESSY stuff that most audiences really enjoy. That is why I opted not to join Queerios... mostly for my own reasons (no transport, so I couldn't be reliable, and less tradition)... But while I was speculating, a very resourceful upper classman tempted me with the idea of a larger setting with a stage, and a bigbig ricey/confetti-fied/watery mess..... that was FREE! We joined forces, did this last show and attracted people, so we can have people to call upon to audition for our possible cast. So that's why all of this started. I had directed the show once before and had already gone through all the legal stuff, so this seemed simple enough. I liked the idea of offering free entertainment that might lead to a larger rocky fan base here in Austin- FOR EVERYBODY. In order to get there, I had to spend a little money, expend lots of effort, explain myself to you guys.. which perhaps I should have done before, but I didn't think you'd be bothered by such a small scale show.. and have lots of fun with my friends from houston who I very much enjoy performing with and miss very much. Boy, every time I come here I write a book... can you tell I don't have many people to talk to? !!Too many books!!

Post subject: Re: I am sorry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:42 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

ttickledpinkk wrote:
Corsets, paint and wood are very expensive!!

Yes, we know.

ttickledpinkk wrote:
It takes lots to get together a show on your own

It takes even more to keep it going. Not to mention that getting completely legal rights isn't going to happen for you since we're here and this town's not big enough for two casts. It's one thing for a couple of your friends to come over to your place and watch the movie, and have a little fun. We are not resposible for the rules the theater has put on us. They don't want their upholstery ruined, and we can't afford to fix that for them. They don't have the after hours staff to stay and clean up a whole lot of rice and confetti, and we can't afford to pay them to do so. Toast attracts bugs. A lot of us have places to be, work in the morning, etc. so we can't stay for a whole long while, and audiences don't help with that kind of thing. (These are things you learn with experience. Granted I've been around for only a year and a half, but even in that short of time you learn these types of things.). The fact that people can't do the time warp in the aisles... Well, I'm sorry, but I fail to see what's so upsetting about that. Is ther some huge difference in the way it feels in front of your seats?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post subject: Re: I am sorry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:44 pm 
Fan Club Rep
Fan Club Rep

Trinity2oo5 wrote:
The fact that people can't do the time warp in the aisles... Well, I'm sorry, but I fail to see what's so upsetting about that. Is ther some huge difference in the way it feels in front of your seats?

:lmao:

Bucket:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:52 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Had to ask. I mean, if it feels incredibly orgasmic or something to do it in the aisles, well shit, I'll do that from now on, but as of yet, I have not noticed a difference.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's just local variation. In Houston they've always made the entire audience get up out of their seats and move into the aisles for The Time Warp. At Texas A&M they have this weird thing where instead of doing stuff with your arms like everyone's doing on screen (out/in/out/in just like sex, etc.) they raise both hands over their head and spin around in one place. The only thing I object to the way Austin does it is when cast members yell at the audience to "sit down and clap" or whatever between parts of the The Time Warp. I'd personally prefer that everyone stay standing the entire time, rather than pretend they're at a Catholic church (sit/stand/kneel/stand/sit). At any rate, people get used to how it's done at the first theater they go to and invariably have a sense of "wrongness" whenever they discover it's done differently elsewhere. Just ask Jessica and Calvin at any given cast meeting about pretty much anything the Austin cast does.