Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Austin Show - Children?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

So my daughter is dying to go see this show. We have told her about it and she has seen the movie several times. She is 13. There is a group of us thinking about taking her. Good idea or bad idea?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 am 
Of Bucketland
Of Bucketland

There has to be an adult with her, for sure, and since it's rated R there's the usual partial nudity and inappropriate content. It's certainly happened before in this cast. I would say the following about the beloved Austin cast, in reference to your question:

*People will likely be WAY less clothed than in the movie. And since it's running around a theatre, she'll see the full effect. I mean older men in lingerie and women with duct tape over their nipples. If you're cool with that, then sure!
*There's lots of screaming cuss words and profanities and possibly disturbing jokes (the clothes hanger one always gets me) that you may or may not want her to hear.
*Alcohol. It's there. On that note, you may even want to check with the Drafthouse on their kid policies since I haven't been there in awhile, but as I recall, I've seen younger kids come in accompanied by an adult/family member before.

With all that in mind, it's up to you. I may wait 'til the 15th birthday, but that's just me. I know kids are exposed to just about everything anyways and sometimes introducing the fun in a good way is good too :) Hope that helps answer your question! (In case you wonder, I played in Queerios for years and come visit, but teach middle school now too. You'll make it an awesome time, I'm sure ;)

"She gotta have tons of this rock star bad boy's wet stuff in Brittany when his big thing totally did her he had fun and it was fantastic." --Lisa Frank refrigerator magnets arranged suggestively in high school

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:23 pm 
Slut
Slut

All of brit_bear's comments are on the money, including seeing if the Drafthouse would have heart failure with a 13 year old in the house.

I'm a real antique - five casts since 1975, and just joined the Queerios as my sixth cast - and all my experience with kids at the show is non-Austin and thus does not apply.

~

and hmmm. A middle school teacher with a cast history. I was one of those too. Once. For three whole months.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:05 pm 
Sweet Transvestite
Sweet Transvestite

We have had people bring a lot younger then 13 to the show, If a guardian adult is with them they can be 8 for all it matters (which has happened)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:59 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

The Alamo admits children 6 and older with a parent. (No infants.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:53 am 
Groupie
Groupie

We had a mother bring her 7 or 8 year old daughter back in July and it was perfectly fine :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:36 pm 
Closet Thespian
Closet Thespian

I remember a while back when we had that mother and her 8 year old daughter, but the mother looked 14. We carded her, and she was thirty-seven.... that was creepy.

Susan: A girl's gotta have her standards.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Phedre wrote:
I remember a while back when we made use of fantastic lightweight wheelchairs and had that mother and her 8 year old daughter, but the mother looked 14. We carded her, and she was thirty-seven.... that was creepy.

Did anyone have any bad experiences bringing a child to one of these shows? I don't want to take any chances.