Austin Rocky Horror Picture Show Cast

Queerios!

Eat them before they eat you!
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:46 pm 
Ok. we've made changes/repairs to the box. If I don't get there in time on Friday (I get off work at 11) you're going to have be careful of a few things.

1) The new wheels on the box are bigger..... Thus making the box higher.... We didn't have a chance to measure it so we need to check to make sure it's not going to hit the top of the doorframe. That means when taking it out of the closet and through the theatre doors, watch the top. If needs be lay it down, take it through the doors, and then stand it back upright. DO NOT push it through dolly style. The old wheels got fucked up from that sort of thing. Also, PLEASE PLEASE use more care when going over the "humps" where carpet meets cement and vice versa. We think that the humps were part of what was tearing up the wheels.

2) The wheels were originally set up as 4 independent swiveling wheels. They are now set up as two fixed wheels and two swiveling wheels. This should help with steering. Idea stolen from ER stretchers.

old wheels -> Image new wheels -> Image

Lastly, the wheels on the box will have to be wiped off after every show. The one thing we noticed on the old wheels was that the weight of the box had forced the dirt into a type of padding around the wheel. That's what was causing a lot of the thicker white spots.

That being said, the latch on the coffin door has been replaced so riff raff's be advised. it's a sliding bolt instead of a window lock.

I will be tightening screws after the show this weekend to make sure all is working order. I'll also be adding two new handles much stronger and wider than the old ones to help with manhandling that beast. (my back still hurts from this weekend.) Also going to be gluing down the carpet that's coming up and sanding down any sharp catch on your fishnet type places. all in all with a little love and care I think we can make this last another 2-3 years.

Moving on. Would anyone have a problem with a second spot for signs and for scenes when you can't have the spot on both things at once. i.e. toucha. One for janet and rocky. One for the two dykes doing nails. I'd also like to start setting up the old folding box for scenes like these. That way, we could have an official ring around the lesbians. This would eliminate the need for the floorlights which everyone knows I hate. Floorlights light up TOO much. the floorlights show the cast in the spotlight, the cast fucking off in the alcoves, the crew making moves and changes, and every other little thing that the audience shouldn't be seeing. All that movement detracts from the key characters in the spot and is just too busy to keep the audiences attention. This would be a great alternative.

Next, the designs for the platform for the new lights will be finished this weekend. The projector is ready as is the mount. All that will be left after that is slides.

Lastly, a transducer has been requested on many occasions. does anyone have anything against building a transducer as a prop?

Please post your opinions.

That is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

• The floor lights are there because the spot light doesn't cover enough during certain scenes with a lot of activity (e.g. Time Warp, which you probably won't be able to light with a spot anyway).
  • Some scenes have characters doing a lot of background activity which isn't really a focal point. Having floor lights keeps the people doing things in the background lit, while still focusing attention on whoever is in the spot.
  • The floor lights only cover TOO much if they're set up badly (i.e. pointing at the screen instead of the floor).
  • The floor lights are normally turned off during scene changes to avoid lighting the crew moving around. If they're lighting the cast fucking off in the alcoves, then the cast needs to get the fuck out of the way.
  • Two spotlights is cool, but good luck on either having two people doing lights or having people well trained enough to handle doing two spotlights at once (I've seen people do it before, but a majority of people doing lighting wouldn't be able to handle it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:24 pm 
Not to diss stevo's lights and all but having done lights myself, recently I might add, you can barely see the spot when the floor lights are on. The new spotlight will alleviate that issue containing multiple sizes and shapes of light.... yes, including one huge rectangle that should cover the entire front of the theatre for time warp. With the new lights being up high, on a platform 5 feet above the seats, it will go over the audience's head and clearly illuminate the stage. This will also eliminate the problem of the spotlight being all over the bottom of the screen. Before you ask, yes, Mr. B is cool with it. It's a similar setup to one that was used at his theatre in Houston.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:02 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

Certainly no offense taken by me. As I've said before, that setup was a stopgap until we got a real light. ...A few years later, it's still being used. Go fig.

So how's this new setup going to work as far as the tech working it? Is there going to be an extra-tall stool or platform? Holding your arms up for 2 hours is tiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:25 pm 
Transylvanian
Transylvanian

Thanks so much for doing all that work, Jessie. The box needed a serious revamping. That sounds like a big improvement.

Peace,
Margaux

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" -- she always called me Elwood -- "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:35 pm 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

And the audience remaining standing during Magenta's "it's so dreamy" is going to be shown... how? Just a question I thought I'd throw out there. Otherwise, sounds like a good idea to me.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:39 pm 
Best I can do on short notice. Not to mention my drawing skills suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:10 am 
Drag Diva
Drag Diva

How long does that take to set up? How much storage space does it take? Will we actually be able to get people there in time to set it up at a reasonable time? Just for the record, I'm digging the rig in theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:44 am 
I assure you it takes less time than trying to fight that tripod. :) the platform will be stored on top of the box under the wheelchair in the closet. it will be 4 inches high. a 4" PVC pipe will drop into a fitting on the stand. this pipe will be shaped like a T. The projector mounts onto the T. it all breaks down to fit nicely together like I said. 4 inches in height.

It takes approx 5 seconds to get the platform situated, 8.2 seconds to get the T pipe into the fitting, 2 minutes to strap on the projector mount and 1.9 seconds to unfold the chair. all in all setup should be 3-5 minutes tops. it's hella easy. That's the way it was designed. downfall: I have not incorporated a way to control the stupid floor lights. :)

as for digging the rig, good. It's a good design. I got the plans from John Alexander from Houston (the really really old guy. electrical engineer who gets his rocks off making stuff for rocky. He's hella smart and a good guy too.) He designed the original platform in 1991 and it was around till just two years ago. The only reason it's not being used today is because the seats at the theatre they are at now are a different width and the platform doesn't fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:38 am 
Fan Club Rep
Fan Club Rep

:lmao: Jess that's the cutest thing I've ever seen

Bucket:
The fucking CHEESE has more health than I do!

"A song while you buy your crack, sir?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:23 pm 
Closet Thespian
Closet Thespian

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

---Morgan---

---Albert Einstein---

I come and go -- the demon tags along,
hanging around me like the air I breathe;
each time I swallow he fills my burning lungs
with sinful cravings never satisfied.

---Charles Beaudelaire---
--- Destruction---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:47 pm 
Sweet Transvestite
Sweet Transvestite

ummmm according to that drawing, the platform is on top of the seats?????? isnt that abit dangerous not only for the person that has to work the lights but what if it falls, than you have a better chance of breaking the projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:11 am 
well, I guess it's funny then that it was done this way for 11 years at the old Houston theatre. I will be making a slight change in design seeing as how when I checked last night, not all the theatre's have the same seats and I want this platform to be universal no matter the theatre. I'm going to have to take it back ever further to the design from 1988. I will post a new picture later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 am 
Drama Queen
Drama Queen

yeah, thats the old school way and the platform was totally solid. i myself fell off it once but it nothing to do with the platform myself as it never moved at all. im just sorta dumb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:49 pm 
Sweet Transvestite
Sweet Transvestite

sorta dumb??????? i think your way over that :lol: